My Dad came over today and provide some extra man power as we started the rafter section today. I started with a temporary board up the outside of the end wall to hold up the 2 x 6 peak which also breaks on the center post.
Once I had a few rafters in place, I was able to remove the temporary board that once held the 2 x 6 peak. The rafters went quite well and I was surprised that I was able to find a few very straight 2x6 for the peak. I ended up going with a 7 ½ / 12 pitch. This will keep me under the 13’6” total height I was trying to stay under.
I will definitely be a crawling loft with the peak height at about 35” and 10” on the sides.
The Dormers were and still are a bit challenging and not done, because I ran out of time. I laid them out and decided to steepen the pitch to a 9 / 12 pitch so the won’t be quite so wide. I will still need to measure and see what size windows they will hold. I think I will end up customizing the window sizes as most places don’t have standard sizes that are that small.
The side without the dormers was a piece of cake. Whose idea was it to put those things in! All in all, we put in 11 man ours today and I am looking forward to have the plywood on and drying everything in! (62 total man hours)